Monday, June 9, 2008

Canned Asapargus and looking a fish in the eye ...


Yesterday was a wonderful day for Lori and I. We had decided to go to a Church several miles away in a town called Symrna. we were familiar with the Church because we had seen a couple of plays there , and my friend and business contact at a Photography business that hires me for free lance work goes to the Church.
The church believes mightily in using the Arts for the Glory of God. Their productions are excellent , the sanctuary itself is the Theater. The Church is an Assembly of God , and the worship is spirited and vibrant.
Lori and I used to go to an Assembly when we lived in Oregon , Interestingly enough there are many 4 square and AOG churches in Oregon , and in all we visited we found the worship to be passionate and personal. I suspect we forgot that here in Tennessee. That being the " personal and vibrant part of worship. Lori thinks perhaps it is because we have so many gifted musicians in the state that the congregation seems to approach worship more as a spectator sport than a participation exercises. What ever the reason it was like the difference between Canned Asparagus and fresh Asparagus to me . I wanted to take a picture of a can of asparagus and a fresh clump of same , but since we had just filled our gas tank I was light on cash. so I noticed this old stock photo of mine of two fish in the Fish market. I think it will work just fine.
At first glance these two fish look similar , but a close side my side examination will show one fish to have a dull eye and scales and the other the eye is bright and clear and the scales look sharper and filled with color. That fish is fresh...and fresh fish taste better. You can survive on the other , but once you had fresh fish or fresh asparagus you will try to avoid the canned.
The worship experience in the Symrna Assembly was fresh, the focus was not on the Praise band , it wasn't on the singers , the focus seemed to be on God . The praise flowed through the congregation into the Heavenlies , and it felt wonder full to be in this House of worship.
I have been telling myself that what I need is a Church with a Good Bible Study I know realize that God is letting me know that I need a Church with a heart for worship.
Kenn

2 comments:

sparrow's song said...

Hi Kenn, I'm a blog friend of Lori.

Pausing to lift you both in prayer concerning this new church move.

I came back to God through the preaching of an Assembly of God preacher. A short, stout, man of God on fire for Jesus. A modern day Paul, one might say. He pulled no punches when it came to delivering the true message of the Gospel, unlike the syrupy seeker sensitive presentation we find today. I've been with God ever since.

A pleasure to meet you.

Cool fish. *grin* Get it? Cool...as in ice. Or perhaps you bless them for dinner and they are now holy mackerel. Okay, moving on now.

nancy said...

Yep. Me too. A heart for worship.
Nancy