Friday, June 6, 2008

What if the H in Theology stood for Humor




I think each of us should take responsibility for what we do ..so in this post I believe you should blame Lori if you are offended. There are two important reasons for this , the first is it was her observation that I make my point much better if I use humor. and second if you blame her you can still come back and read another post and not feel like a hypocrite.

I believe that God does have a sense of humor , after all we are humorous and we are created in His Image. Its just that you often don't mix humor and Theology, I have seen humor mixed with Sermons but people who have studied preaching know that there is a useful purpose for a well delivered joke. If you watch them closely you will notice that invariably as they deliver the joke , they are looking over at the wife just to make sure they have not crossed the line.

However , when it comes to the heady discussions of Theological issues ...well humor kinda goes out on the porch and looks at the stars while the pundits inside are discussing them. I am wondering if it is possible to mix humor with a serious Theological discussion, and I don't want to wimp out either ..we are not talking a hehhehhe kinda humor here we are talking about a gut grabbing , pinching your cheeks together , just in case kinda humor. If you know what I mean. This is a new venture for me ...so please have patience ..or simply keep me in your prayers and not in your cross hairs.

Is there a chance we take God too seriously ? One of the great tenants of the Christian Faith is that God is known to us , we have a personal relationship with God , doesn't it make sense that in most of our personal relationships ( Presbyterians and Baptists excluded ) with each other we value humor ? Can you imagine spending a night with some of your friends and never laughing ?
That has happened only once with me and that was when someone forgot to bring the Fried Chicken to the Church Picnic.

You see another side of your Pastor when you catch Him on his knees begging God for some Kentucky fried Chicken.

So what things would we Joke with God about in our personal relationship with Him ? Right off the the top of my head two subjects come to mind , Peter and Circumcision , no pun intended.

If I were doing a movie about Jesus and the Disciples I would be inclined to cast Nathan Lane as Peter ...More on that later.

Then there is Circumcision ....I believe that there is good evidence to suggest that Abraham was the First Choreographer in the Bible . He created the Abraham Hop . Can you imagine what all the wives were saying when their Husbands decided to do that to each other ? I'm sure there wasn't a dry eye in the camp , with the exception of the camels ...
Going too far with the Humor thing ? not sure IM thinking DQ and a Carmel Sundae while I think it over .

In the meantime I could use more topics ...let me know what you would joke with God about ? You know things like ...why did you put men in charge ?




Kenn

2 comments:

nancy said...

On Planet Earth, we laugh about irony, we laugh about things we take too seriously, we laugh about simple mistakes that lead to odd situations... Mostly we laugh at ourselves. I think the funniest things I ever hear point out how ridiculously self-centered we are. Now this may have a theological carryover.
I don't know if you've started Heaven (Alcorn) yet, but I read it and I think we may laugh our heads off when we get on the other side of this life and see how strangely we behaved here. God said there would be no more tears, so what is left?
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Kenn, well you got a laugh from me ... just want to remind you that Zipporah circumcised her own son... guess they got used to what the men were doing to one another ;) hahaha what a sight that must have been, criminy!! One would think they were all crazy!

I think a sense of humor is a great thing!
K