Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Life is not always Sedimentary


I believe that life is far less sedimentary and far more metamorphic. The sum of our experience may be laid down in sedimentary layers , but something happens to this experience it is not processed in a linear fashion , instead it is compressed , jumbled , pressed , and squeezed into the person that is you and the person that is me.


I realize now that my trip to Oklahoma just as I entered my teen years was one of those layers . It must have had a profound effect on my life. when I returned home from Oklahoma without realizing it I had changed.

I have stopped at this point for over five days ...thinking , pulling threads together , realizing that I had stumbled over something fundamental , and yet I have no Idea what it is.

what happened in Oklahoma was life changing ...only it took me over 40 years to realize my life had changed.

I slipped the chains of self awareness and began to see the world in with the eyes and ears of others ...I had seen racism and Poverty , I had seen a simpler culture not yet enslaved by Television. I had become more self reliant , after all a trip downtown on the bus was not quite the same as bus trip across the USA.

But I have to say that the more I realize this was a turn point in my life I cannot find that which I turned on.

I have to leave Oklahoma ...consider some other writing subjects ...

This has helped me to know that each of us is far more complex than we appear we are not simple sediments easily interpreted layer upon layer , we are more than linear. we are compressed , torn and uplifted , we are pressed down and formed out of pressures we cannot fully explain.



No comments: