Monday, July 28, 2008

Praise the Lord and roll another Ciggerette


Tobacco ,this cash crop for Tennessee Farmers,has provided a living for genreations,Those who profit in Tobacco like most of us probably go to church, praise God , send their Children off to school and dream for their success and well being ..good people , great neighbors , yet this product kills , more people by far and even farther have been killed by tobacco than all the terrorism in the world ..I know that seems harsh, and it would be if I was singling out the Tabocco Industry...lets consider the Tobacco Industry as a metephor ...How many Christians do you suppose work for companies that provide similar products and services ...what is an appropriate business for a follower of Christ to be in ?
When I was in the Hotel Industry I had to choose between my Job and checking in Unmarried Adults .. Do you work in a bar or resturant that sells alcohol ? A company selling arms and munitions to Iran ( beleive it or not there are several in this country that do so ) Or to any other country ? Do you manufacture handguns , work in a Hospital where abortions are performed ? Sell Adult Magazines ? Now I am not saying you are going to hell because of any of these .. I am just asking us to consider how what we do for a living reflects our Christian Values and beliefs ...Im not sure we should have one set of beliefs on Sunday and the rest of the week ignore them.
Perhaps a question that has more punch is this . Do we Trust God and His promises to us.
If we trust God and Obey God Im pretty sure about half of us would be unemployed ..if we put God in the work place where He should be , then some of us would lose our Jobs or we would choose to leave them ...
Recently I saw some " Christian " video games , action games made by " Christian " companies who wanted an alternative to the gratioutius violence of the worldy video games ...they are really no different, the game player ( On Gods Side ) shoots , kills and destroys the minions of Satan ...lots of action , lots of gore ...no difference .
I love to read about the Civil War I even at one time had a Video Game where I could take on either the North or the South on a computer. I had a ball I replayed Gettysburg hundreds of time as the South and I always trounced the North ...in order to do it I had to sacrifice some units knowing they would be destroyed , but that gained time for my greater victory...it began to wear on me ..I began to realize my playful game had real time implications ..one day I simply refused to engage the Northern Army and interestingly enough the Northern Forces seemed to be confused ..eventualy the game ended and no Bytes of information were destroyed ...
Reminded me about that old Viet Nam anti War Slogan I used to have on my car " what if they had a war and no one showed up".
It seems to me that the Greatest Skill the Generals of both Armies had was simply getting these large bodies of men over unmapped and difficult terrain and being able to line them up and shoot and kill each other.
Now with this I am sure some one will be saying well if it wern't for the soldiers we would be all speaking German or Japanese ...
Paul Spoke Latin ....and your point is ?
So now we are back to Tobacco Farmers ...Praising the Lord in Church and selling Death in the Tocacco auctions ....I guess its all about Choice ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.